Glyceryl trinitrate spray is used to relieve the pain of an angina attack as soon as it has started. Angina is chest pain arising from the heart muscle when it does not receive enough oxygen. The spray can also be used to prevent angina from starting by using it immediately before events which may set off your angina attack, for example, physical effort, emotional stress or exposure to cold.
What is this medication used for
Dosage and How to Use
|||1. Remove the plastic cover. Do not shake the container.|
|||2. Hold the container upright with your forefinger on top of the white button.|
|||3. Open your mouth and bring the container as close to it as possible. Point the direction of the nozzle to the area under your tongue.
4. Press the button firmly to release a spray under the tongue. Keep holding the button down until the entire dose has been released.
5. Close your mouth immediately, but do not inhale the spray. Release the button.
|||6. Avoid swallowing immediately after using the spray. Do not spit out the medicine or rinse your mouth for 5 to 10 minutes after using the spray.
7. Replace the plastic cover.
What are the possible side effects of the medicine?
- Flushed face
- Weakness, dizziness and fainting, particularly on standing up
- Nausea and vomiting
How do I know if I am allergic to this medicine?
- Swollen face/eyes/lips
- Difficulty in breathing
- Itchy skin rashes over your whole body
What precautions should I follow when taking the medicine?
- Make sure you have the spray with you at all times.
- You should sit down to use the spray where possible to reduce chances of dizziness or fainting.
- Do not take alcohol when you use the spray.
- The medicine should take away the pain within 5 minutes. Additional sprays may be repeated every 3-5 minutes if the pain does not become less. Repeat steps 3 to 6 if you require additional sprays.
- If you still have chest pain after a total of 3 sprays in a 15-minute period, contact your doctor or go to the nearest hospital’s Accident and Emergency Department.
- The spray may be used 5 to 10 minutes before engaging in activities which might cause angina pain.
Handling and Storage
- Store below 25°C.
- Keep your medicines in the original container or packaging, tightly closed or sealed in a cool and dry place. Keep it away from direct sources of heat, including sunlight.
- Keep the medicine out of reach of children.
- Do not try to puncture, break or burn the canister, even if it appears empty.
- Throw away all expired medicines.