What is Zirtek allergy solution and what it is used for?
- Treating allergies such as hay fever, pet allergies and dust mite allergies (seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis).
- Treating itchy, nettle-type, allergic skin rashes (urticaria or hives).
- Treating a chronic itchy nettle-type rash where the cause isn’t known (chronic idiopathic urticaria).
Zirtek allergy solution contains cetirizine 1mg/1ml and is licensed for children aged two years and over and adults.
How does Zirtek allergy solution work?
Cetirizine works by preventing the actions of histamine – a substance produced by the body when it reacts to a foreign substance, such as pollen or pet fur (these are known as allergens). Histamine causes a chain reaction that results in allergic symptoms such as itchy eyes, sneezing and a runny nose. Cetirizine blocks histamine receptors and so stops this chain reaction.
Cetirizine can also be used to relieve the symptoms of a condition called chronic idiopathic urticaria. This is a chronic itchy rash, similar to nettle rash, but with no apparent cause. Blocking the actions of histamine relieves the itching and reduces the rash associated with this condition and other allergic skin reactions.
Who should not take Zirtek allergy solution?
- Children under two years of age.
- People with severe kidney failure requiring dialysis.
- People who are allergic or intolerant to any ingredient of the medicine. Check the ingredients listed in the leaflet that comes with the medicine if you know you have specific allergies or intolerances.
What are the possible side effects of Zirtek allergy solution?
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with cetirizine. Just because a side effect is stated here doesn’t mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
Common side effects (affect between 1 in 10 and 1 in 100 people)
- Mild sleepiness or feeling tired.
- Dry mouth.
- Sore throat.
- Feeling sick or abdominal pain.